London – Shaving Your Legs For The First Time
HELP ME LORD! WE’RE HERE NOW!
London: Mommy, may I start shaving my legs?
Me: 😨 Why baby? Your legs look beautiful.
London: But it has a lot of hair now.
Me: 😨 I barely see a thing baby.
London: Mommy, stop! I know you see it.
Me: 😨 How old are you again, baaaby?
London: Mommy, I’m 13 now! Is it OK for me to shave my legs at this age?
Me: 😨 In my head… (should I lie and say NO??, what is happening?, she was just in diapers, this is the beginning of the end, don’t you dare start crying in front of her!) Well baby, I’ll have to show you how, so you won’t hurt yourself.
AND SO IT BEGAN!
I immediately started thinking about which razor would be the safest and best for her to use on her skin. I wondered, are there razors for teens or first timers? NO, not that I have found. A few days went by, maybe even a couple of weeks honestly, as I tried to delay the 1st time. lol… I never anticipated that I would feel this way about this, so I wasn’t prepared at all.
That’s mommy life for ya, everyday is for the new and unexpected.
I received a package in the mail and it had quite a number of things in it, which included BIC Soliel Shine razors for both male and female. I swore it was a sign for me to get it together and stop delaying London’s experience of shaving her legs for the FIRST TIME! Age 13 seamed so young at first but I quickly realized as I was talking with my cousin, that it was because I had personally waited until I was a lot older. Being from the islands, shaving our legs wasn’t a priority as a teenager. In actuality hair on your legs was considered attractive, BACK THEN. I’m TOTALLY beyond that now though! LMBO…
Any who… I got my act together, researched different razors and we picked a day. London’s first time shaving her legs was such a fun and exciting time! We had a blast and seeing her face light up the way it did is something I pray that I never forget!
Here are a few tips to help you have a safe and positive experience with shaving.
1. If using a disposable razor, choose one that has multiple blades – Give a closer and smoother shave.
2. Definitely use a shaving cream or gel – It’s a buffer and reduces the risk of nicks and cuts.
3. Wet your legs with warm water, long enough to allow your skin to moisten – Opens your pores and softens your skin.
4. For the first shave, if you have a lot of hair, go with the grain (shave in a downward direction the way your hair grows). Otherwise shave upward (from ankles to knees).
5. When shaving the knees and ankles, be very careful. It’s a bonier area with grooves. Make sure your standing and tense your knees to make it a more even area to shave.
6. Moisturize after you have finished shaving and have rinsed the entire area.